Saturday 15 May 2010

Booked it, Packed it, F*cked off!..

Well the day finally came when the fellas from Crown relocation came and boxed up my measly possesions that I'm taking to Singapore.
So the great big pile of fleeces, coats, jumpers, hats and scarves that I'm leaving behind have been put under the bed for an outing at a later date.
I was quite surprised to find out how much stuff I was actually taking, and seeing as I'm pretty much starting out again from scratch as far as furniture goes, it did end up filling up most of the van.
This picture shows only half of it.

Seeing most of my stuff boxed up in the living room was actually a bit sadder than I thought it would be. I can't quite put my finger on it, as I know that I'm doing the best thing in leaving and making a new start, but it was still a bit of a funny feeling knowing that I'm saying goodbye to this house and the memories that go with it. It's funny - as I had the same feeling when I moved out of my first flat in Brixton years ago. Maybe I'm just slightly more attached to piles of bricks and motor than I thought I was.
So today, seeing the house slightly barer of possessions makes me feel even more displaced than ever. It's funny how having a few of the things you cherish around you make a home a home and without them it feels like something not totally different, but ... different.
So as we speak, my stuff is on it's 6 week round the world trip by sea to Singapore. Actually, it's probably stuck in some industrial estate near Folkstone, but it's not really painting the same romantic picture is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment